The Old Monroe Schoolhouse
The old Monroe Stone Schoolhouse is located at 410-412 Route 94 (North Church Road) in the Monroe section of Hardyston Township. There is ample parking and picnic facilities in the field located to the next to the school. Cones on the roadside indicate the entrance when the school is open.
The hand hewn stone building was used as a school from about 1819 to 1926. At that time the population increase caused the township to build a two room school further up the road. Hardyston township used the building for storage of road equipment. In 1976 a group of citizens took the task of restoring the building and forming the Hardyston Heritage Society. The school was open to the public on May 25, 1980.
The school is usually open to the public on the first Sunday of the months of June thru September. School classes and organizations may visit the school by making arrangements with the facilator. The school is open from 1 PM to 4 PM. The school will be open Sun.June 2, July 7, Aug. 4, and Sept. 1, 2013.
Click here for our email to make arrangements for group visits.
Donations are appreciated.